After this course you are able to:
- describe how genetic material can be isolated and analyzed with the aid of basic recombinant DNA techniques
- describe how simple functional DNA constructs can be made, which allow to adapt biological properties of bacteria and other organisms in a targeted and responsible manner through genetic manipulation
- apply a number of basic recombinant DNA techniques to make and characterize simple DNA constructs
- interpret the legal framework for activities involving genetically modified organisms and practice the safety rules that have to be observed when working with genetically modified organisms
Lecture: to gain insight in the theoretical background of DNA technologies and the legal framework in which experiments with genetically modified organisms take place.
Practical: development of experimental skills in the field of DNA technologies and applying the theoretical aspects of this course. Awareness of the safety aspects that should be taken into account when working with genetically modified organisms.
|Contact: Dr. W.C. Boelens, tel. (024-36) 16753, E-mail: W.Boelens@ncmls.ru.nl|
|• restriction endonucleases |
• restriction mapping
• cDNA and genomic libraries
• polymerase chain reaction (PCR)
• recombinant protein expression
• transgenic organisms
• legislation on genetically modified organisms
|Written examination and lab project.|
Grading of the lab part will be based on the execution of the projects and written answers to questions.
Final grade of this course is determined by the written exam (70%) and the project grade (30%). However, if the result of the written exam is lower that 5,5, the final grade is that of the written exam alone.
|Biomolecules (NWI-MOL008), Biochemical Processes (NWI-MOL013). Students who have not followed the course Project Biochemistry (NWI-MOL010) can get extra help about the technical aspects at the beginnning of this course.|
This is a course in the theme 'Lab and research skills'
• Powerpoint slides and additional information available via blackboard.
• Manual project DNA-Technology: purchage 5 working days in advance at https://fnwi.ru-bestel.nl/
• Nelson & Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, 6th ed., Macmillan (febr. 2013), ISBN-13: 9781464109621.
• Recommended: J.W. Dale, M. Von Schantz, From Genes to Genomes; Concepts and Applications of DNA Technology, 3rd ed., Wiley, 2012, ISBN 978-0-470-68385-9.
• 12 hours lecture
• 42 hours laboratory course
• 22 hours individual study period
|Powerpoint slides and additional information available via blackboard.|
|Manual project DNA-Technology: purchage 5 working days in advance at https://fnwi.ru-bestel.nl/|
|Nelson & Cox, Lehninger Principles of Biochemistry, 6th ed., Macmillan (febr. 2013)|
|Recommended: J.W. Dale, M. Von Schantz, From Genes to Genomes; Concepts and Applications of DNA Technology, 3rd ed., Wiley, 2012|
|Gelegenheden||Blok KW1, Blok KW2|