Upon completion of the course, the student is able
- to understand properties and functionality of basic functional groups of biomolecules
- to understand and predict the chemical transformation of these functional groups with detailed reaction mechanisms
- to synthesize biomolecules with experimental techniques and to explore the properties of these biomolecules
- to present the practical set-up and finding of the research work in oral (lecture) and written (poster) format
This is a practical course, aiming to apply the theory around biomolecular chemistry given in Synthesis of Biomolecules (NWI-MOL047) in practice. Clearly, focus will be at the synthesis and study of biomolecules (peptides, sugars, nucleic acids).
|Registration one month before the start of the course.|
This course is scheduled in the second half of the quarter. Students that choose to do this lab course have to follow the course 'MOL047 Synthesis of biomolecules' together with the students of MLW, in the first half of the quarter: Thursday and Friday.
Students that do not take this lab course follow the course MOL047 on Thursdays only throughout the quarter.
|Practical skills and report|
|Structure of Atoms and molecules (NWI-MOL079), Reactions and kinetics (NWI-MOL007) and Project Reactions and kinetcis (NWI-MOL005)|
This is a course in the themes 'Structure and Reactivity' and 'Practical and Research skills'.
• Paula Y. Bruice, Organic Chemistry, Prentice Hall, 6th ed., Package ISBN-10:0321689518 | ISBN-13:9780321689511.\
• Mohrig, Alberg, Hofmeister, Schatz, Hammond. Laboratory techniques in Organic Chemistry. 4th edition.
• Paula Y. Bruice, Study Guide and Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry, 6th Edition, ISBN-10: 0-321-68951-8 | ISBN-13: 978-0-321-68951-1.
• hand-outs, provided by the teachers.
• 64 hours laboratory course
• 20 hours individual study period
|Paula Y. Bruice, Organic Chemistry, Prentice Hall, 6th ed|
|Mohrig, Alberg, Hofmeister, Schatz, Hammond. Laboratory techniques in Organic Chemistry. 4th edition|
|Paula Y. Bruice, Study Guide and Solutions Manual for Organic Chemistry, 6th Edition,|
|hand-outs, provided by the teachers.|