Master students enrolled in the specializations focusing on "Science, Management and Innovation", "Science in Society" and "Science and Education" are expected to contact an advisor of a research specialization (Physics of Molecules and Materials, Particle and Astrophysics, Neuroscience) to select a thesis supervisor and the subject of the master thesis project. The master course package is composed in consultance with the thesis supervisor and and may be tuned with SMI/SIS/EDU advisor.
The procedure for assessing the master's thesis results is more stringent than the procedure for assessing other study components. The report is read by the graduation supervisor and a second staff member. The procedure is as follows:
- The graduation supervisor (supervising professor) is responsible for the dissertation and mark
- The graduation supervisor nominates a scientific staff member from outside his/her branch of learning as a second assessor, by letter or e-mail to the secretariat of the institute, at least 5 weeks before the date on which the mark is to be submitted
- The secretariat of the institute communicates the nomination to the chairman of the examination committee or, in case the chairman is not present, to the secretary or other deputy designated by the chairman
- When approved, the nomination will be communicated by letter or e-mail to the graduation supervisor
- The dissertation will be submitted to the second assessor at least 3 weeks before the date on which the mark should be known
- The second assessor will have 10 working days to assess the work placement results
- Within those 2 weeks, the graduation supervisor will inform the second assessor of the mark awarded for the work placement
- Within those 10 days, the second assessor will state whether or not he/she agrees with the mark given
- If the second assessor does not agree with the mark given, this will be reported to the graduation supervisor and the secretariat of the institute
- The secretariat will keep anonymous records of the dissertations the second assessor has assessed otherwise
- The graduation supervisor and second assessor will jointly determine the final mark. In the event that they cannot come to an agreement, the graduation supervisor will determine the mark and will report the matter to the examination committee
For access to all forms and course information in BlackBoard, regisiter in Osiris to course NWI-NM078E.
For registration grade in OSIRIS, sign into course NWI-NM078D.