At the end of the course, you are able to write a literature review on a problem in neuroscience in a clear and concise manner according to academic standards.|
To complete this course, you are expected to apply all knowledge and skills gained in the previous years to independently write a thesis on a neuroscience topic in a clear and concise manner. Nevertheless, writing a thesis remains a learning process that requires continuous, focused effort: writing improves with practice and feedback produces better writing.
At the end of the course you are able to:
- define a scientific issue in the field of neuroscience which you deem interesting, under supervision of an experienced neuroscience researcher from the Donders Center for Neuroscience
- Formulate a research question and/or hypothesis on the basis of current scientific literature at an academic level
- Conduct a scientific literature research in a systematic fashion to address your research question
- Critically analyse, evaluate, select, relate and compare the data/results/evidence that you found in your literature research
- Draw clear, argued conclusions from your findings
- Communicate findings of your literature research in a concise, clearly written fashion, according to academic standards
A specialized subject pertaining to the field of Neuroscience that is readable and comprehensible for your peers. If so desired, for example if you graduate in the Communication, Education, or Science-Innovation tracks, the targeted audience of your thesis may adjusted accordingly.|
It is also possible to select your own topic. Please, ensure beforehand that your supervisor agrees with the topic.
The students first discusse their topic of interest with a selected supervisor. The subject is to be worked out in more detail on the basis of a number of relevant research articles, using various literature systems. It is important that you formulate, outline, and then discuss a problem in depth in your thesis.
Note that the thesis is not meant to serve as a summary of results: Instead, particular attention should be made to describe and present the topic according to a logical structure, give clear argumentation about obtained results, methods and remaining problems, and provide a scientific and academic analysis and synthesis of the topic. These aspects will all be used in the grading of the thesis work.